Monday, October 15, 2007

One Whole and Perfect Day, by Judith Clarke


Lily hopes that she can make Daniel notice her. Her brother stays estranged from the family until a chance encounter with his grandfather makes him decide on impulse to bring his Chinese girlfriend home. Grandmother talks endlessly to her imaginary friend Sef. And grandfather surprises everyone by befriending an old Chinese woman. And then a magical and perfect day brings everyone together in perfect harmony.


Had I remembered how much I detested Kalpana's Dream, I almost certainly would never have picked out this book. Like that novel, this meanders incoherantly from one POV to another, making observations that intended to be profound but which basically make little or no sense. I imagine that there are (non-librarian) people out there who will enjoy this book. But I found it dull and unengaging.

No comments: