Sunday, April 16, 2006

Breakfast With Tiffany, by Edwin John Wintle

When Tiffany's family life in Connecticut takes a major nose dive and her mother Megan begins to give up on her, Tiffany's gay uncle in NYC takes her in and tries to give her the stability she has lacked. What ensues is a very realistic look at the dynamics of being a troubled teen and a struggling guardian.

This piece of adult fiction is way off of my usual read -- intended more for my actual demographic than my favorites. It's a more "appropriate" book for a middle-aged guy to read. I liked the sections most where we get to see Tiffany struggle between rebelling against and needing her uncle. It's a painful story and, being non-fiction, generally rings true. I wonder if younger readers would like it or find it annoying?

No comments: