Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Number the Stars, by Lois Lowry

In Nazi-occupied Denmark, Annemarie Johansen and her family, help their neighbors escape the Nazi's. At first an effort of only the parents, eventually Annemarie finds that she has a role to play as well in saving her friend Ellen's life.

Suspenseful and intriguing, this book represents the very best in historical fiction. An interesting period, with a fact-filled afterward that explains the history behind the story. This is a very well written, short book, and an unusual exception to my usual rule that Newbery winners tend to not live up to the hype. I'll withold one star simply because the story doesn't captivate me personally, but I'll do so reluctantly because this is really a very good story.

***

I promised in my last post that I would comment on the award announcements from the ALA on Monday. Mostly, I am glad about the results. I haven't read Criss Cross yet although I intend to do so soon. I love Looking for Alaska so I'm very glad it won the Printz. I don't know the Caledecott winner, but I liked Zen Shorts (one of the honor books). So, all in all, not a bad set of choices. I suppose I'm mostly glad about what didn't win also, but it's better to stay positive, eh?

No comments: